Thursday, July 13, 2006

Scream and Prayer

So we just have to realize the facts: there is a war in Lebanon. Outrageous violations are taking place while the whole world is watching, and the US is for the zillionth time using its veto power in the Security Council to make sure that no end is put to the horror unfolding in front of our eyes (God forbid!).

As if the blood bath i Gaza was not enough.

I refuse!

I refuse to be a part of a world that let this happen, over and out, end of story!

I scream out my refusal so loud that all the windows in Barcelona break. And through the broken windows my scream penetrates the evening quiet of the living rooms and the silence of the hallways and the traffic in the streets and the slowliness of grandparents' bed time stories and the quirking of old elevators and the dinner table conversations and the bedroom quarrels and the laughter of couples in love and the sound of shutting doors and the music in the bars and the cries of babies in hunger and it's impossible to hear what they say on TV and people who have just fallen asleep wake up and can't tell what they were dreaming and the professors sitting in their hotel rooms preparing for tomorrow's panel sessions can't concentrate and everybody is covering their ears with their hands while glass lie shattered around and there is no end in sight to this unbearable sound.

And yet nothing is heard.

I feel utterly helpless and I wish I had some magic recipe that could make all the people of the world unite and join a massive uprising that could show the super powers of this world that we all refuse to be a part of this, that we all refuse to watch these endless crimes, that we all refuse to be silent.

Instead all I can do is silently open the window and go to sleep in my Barcelona bed, listen to the silent buzz of the fan and pray that not too many get killed tonight.

(I pray, even though I do not believe there is a god.
Like all desperate people, I too
place my hope in something more promising
than human behavior, forgetting
that there is
no such thing.)


1 comment:

stian said...

The great journalist Spider Jerusalem said that: "every revolution has one built in problem. People. now matter how grand the ideals on the banners they flock under. people are weak, opportunistic and easily frightened"