Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Nostalgia

nostalgia |näˈstaljə; nə-| noun a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations : I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college. • the evocation of these feelings or tendencies, esp. in commercialized form : an evening of TV nostalgia.

DERIVATIVES nostalgist |-jist| noun

ORIGIN late 18th cent.(in the sense [acute homesickness] ): modern Latin (translating German Heimweh ‘homesickness’ ), from Greek nostos ‘return home’ + algos ‘pain.’

Thesaurus
nostalgia, noun; a nostalgia for traditional values reminiscence, remembrance, recollection; wistfulness, regret, sentimentality; homesickness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi , i was googling regards "A Cloud in Trousers" in german that i reached to your blog , its quiet good , then i wanted to mail to ask you do you know any available version of Mayakovski poems in german ? i could not find your email , i will be glad to hear you , behdadkh@gmail.com

if you like-
I'll be extraordinary gentle,
not a man, but - a cloud in trousers

jose carlos said...

Hello, i like regards "A Cloud in Trosers" , in Portugal. If possible avaiable any version of Maya KovsKi poems in Portuguese
Thank You
José Carlos

Silje said...

Hi guys,
thanks for stopping by my blog. But I am no expert on Majakovski and I don't know where to find versions of his poems in other languages. I simply chose the title of one of his poems for my blog because I like it, that's all. Try Wikipedia or the advanced search on Google. Google knows it all, I don't. Good luck.